Tuesday, April 21, 2015

(OC Design, 2010?)
This morning, digging around, I found an older graphing notebook from pre 2011, I know it's 4+ years old because the first sketching inside was a character design for some high school printmaking assignment from way back when. (I think I was a junior?) 

I used to be such a fan of skinny sharpies, the lines in my work were so blotchy and bloody. Graphing paper is so thin that the heavy bleeding claimed the life of the two pages behind it in it's creation. It's too bad, I like working on graph paper. The ability to compose, and judge proportions when sketching is made much simpler, and that's why I started using the notebook again.



It wasn't enough to just sketch blindly so I had a great idea, to use the graph book to map out my next painting.


I thought I'd paint more girls since that seems to be my thing lately (and pretty much always, I used to get teased for it in middle school. My classmates would spread gossip that I only drew girls because I was a lesbian.) Honestly though I don't draw many human girls, I draw dolls. That's why the proportions are so stylized and the hair is so flamboyant, and the eyes so big. I don't want people to think I'm drawing actual people, because they might think "this is the standard girls should live up too", or "this person doesn't think girls are pretty without big eyes" which isn't true at all. I think all women are beautiful, and the bigger the better, but my dolls tend to be small in size right now because that's how I learned to make them. It's a crime of habit I hope to grow out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment